Monday, February 6, 2017

Introduction to the Project

Tomorrow marks the beginning of my senior research project under supervision of Dr. Richard Shindell. He's a pediatric orthopedic surgeon who owns his own private practice while working through Phoenix Children's Hospital.

In this project I'll be researching what precautions can be taken in order to make recovery after different types of orthopedic surgeries, especially scoliosis, shorter and easier for the patient and their family.

Dr. Shindell was my own personal doctor when I went through scoliosis surgery, also known as spinal fusion surgery. This process includes inserting screws into the patient's back to try and reduced the spinal curve, however he also helps treat other conditions such as cerebral palsy, growth deformities, and hip dysplasia.

Tomorrow I'll be going to observe his practice, including watching patient visits when granted permission by the parents. In doing this, I will be able to see physically how patients are following their operations, as well as figure out more from my readings which I will be checking out from the Emily Center Library in Phoenix Children's Hospital.

Many surgeries can be a large burden on patients and their parents, not only emotionally but also physically. As someone who's gone through similar processes, I want to focus on the recovery, as it is close to my heart and a personal issue I've had to deal with too.

No comments:

Post a Comment