Saturday, March 18, 2017

Week Six Day Two: Collecting Data and Fun Facts.

So, yesterday at the office, it was a busy and hectic day. The doctor was on call, and definitely got a lot of calls, for emergencies at Phoenix Children's Hospital. At least for me it was enlightening on what it was like to be a surgeon on call. Hectic, the only word I can really think of to describe it. Dr.Shindell even apologized to me for it being so hectic.

Anyways, moving on from that story to the stuff I know you're all dying to know. How am I going to collect enough data to support an argument. Well... at first I didn't know. I was convinced I could do some data mining at the office, but that didn't prove true, so I contacted a scoliosis association called "Curvy Girls" that one of the parents recommended to me when they found out that I had scoliosis surgery myself. They have an online board for people to talk about their scoliosis and everything related to it, so I decided to reach out to them and see if there was anyway I could send out a survey for people who had the spinal fusion surgery. Currently it's waiting review, but I'm going to try and contact them again tomorrow about it. The only thing that concerns me is that this might come together at the last minute, but I'm doing my best to try and get as much data as possible.

I know that talking about data may be boring so I decided to spice up this post with some celebrities that have scoliosis.

Sarah Michelle Gellar - You probably know her as Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show.
Shailene Woodley- Known for her role as Tris Prior in the Divergent Series Movies.
Laura Dern- I know her for her role in Jurassic Park but she's been in much more.

Many more celebrities have scoliosis, considering 2-3% of the population has scoliosis, this isn't really shocking. I hope this has been fun and informative, and please expect more in detail posts next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment