Thursday, April 20, 2017

Week Ten Day One: A Slow Week/Familial Influence

Coming back from my break was a bit harder than I expected in terms of sleeping, but I'm now back in the hang of things.

So far I've seen some pretty interesting patients this week, however it has been slow when it comes to patients who have had the spinal fusion.

Of course this project is not solely based on studying my research question, or else I'd be bored out of my mind, but also learning about other things related to the medical field and seeing what it's like being inside a patient room not as a patient.

One thing I noticed a lot of this week was how the family truly affects the level of care, even with the same doctor.

If Dr.Shindell puts a cast on two kids in the same spot at the same time, but one kid's parents let them run around and not wear a sling, the affects will not be the same as the kid who doesn't. Although many people assume your level of care is based on your doctor and that alone, it's not true. The family plays a huge role in the kids level of success after care, and their ability to get the correct care in the first place (such as families forgetting what happened to cause an injury).

It's a simple thing to keep in mind when you think of doctor's and how their patients are, but it's a very important topic to also be discussed.

1 comment: